History

EARLY HISTORY OF SCV CAMP47

        On October 9, 1897 the Lt. General Richard H. Anderson Camp United Confederate Veterans was chartered and in short order later became Camp # 47, Sons of Confederate Veterans.  Twenty local Confederate veterans initially met on September 7, 1897 to discuss forming the camp.  Mr. S.H. Rodgers, Editor of the Palmetto Post in Beaufort, was requested to act as temporary Chairman that evening and Dr. H. M. Stuart, Captain of the Beaufort Volunteer Artillery at wars end, was unanimously elected the Camp's first Commander, Dr. A. P. Prioleau Vice Commander and Mr. J. M. Baker Adjutant by proclamation.  On a motion by William Elliott, Jr., the following members were appointed a committee to report a name for the organization:  William Elliott, Jr., A. P. Prioleau and T. O. Hutson.  They adjourned and met again on September 16th when the committee recommended naming the camp after Lt. General Richard H. Anderson, who passed away in Beaufort in 1879 and was buried within walls of the Parish Church of St. Helena.  Meetings were held at the Historic Arsenal in Beaufort where the Camp members met up until 2007 when the arsenal went under repairs. Meetings have been held at Beaufort's Harmony Masonic Lodge #22 since 2008.

        Bill Bushall of Graniteville and Randal Burbage of Charleston helped Beaufortonian Brian Canaday muster the modern Camp. The members began meeting in 1993 and held the rechartering ceremony on December 20, 1995. Brian Canaday was elected Commander, Michael Givens, Lt. Commander and Rob McFee, Chaplain. The original 11 Charter Members are listed below.

        April 20, 1996 a grave marker was dedicated and placed at the final resting place of Lt. General Richard H. Anderson in the churchyard of the Parish Church of St. Helena Episcopal in Beaufort.

        On May 23, 1998 the Camp dedicated a monument in the Beaufort National Cemetery to all the Confederate soldiers who are interred there and placed it near their grave sites.

        Early meetings of the Camp in Beaufort were held at the former home of General Anderson, the Anchorage Restaurant, Harry's Restaurant, all of which were located on Bay Street, and the historic Beaufort Arsenal on Craven Street. 

On May 25, 2014, the Camp dedicated a new Historical Marker to Gen. Anderson at the old church cemetery of The Parish Church of Saint Helena.  Many members of the chapter and the church attended the service led by Camp Associate and Church Rector the Rev. Jeffrey Miller.  Descendants Richard Anderson Rhame of Greenville, SC and his brother Dr. Donald Rhame of Montgomery, AL attended the service dedication.

 

SCV Camp #47 Charter Members
          October 9, 1995

Alton W. Aimar Richard Edwin Akers, Jr. Ernest Wesley Bailes
William McNeil Baxley, Jr Brian A. Canaday Benjamin Lee Fields
Steven Dwain Fields John Allan Givens Robert Michael Givens
Thomas Eugene Givens J. Robert McFee


COMMANDERS
BRIAN CANADAY
1995-1996
MICHAEL GIVENS
1996-1998
ROBERT MCFEE
1998-1999
BENJAMIN LEE FIELDS
1999-2001
DON CARLSON
2002-2004
WEBB HORRY
2004-2005
JODY HENSON
2005-2007
WALT LINEBERGER
2007-2008
CLAUDE MCELVEEN
2008-2010
PAUL GRIFFIN
2010-2012
JIM THOMAS
2012-2014
CHRIS GIBSON
2014-2017
MIKE KELLEY
2017
JIM ATKINS
2017-Present